The SMUAlumni Association aims at launching a peer mentorship program to foster community among scholars from across the globe and to provide members at all levels of their careers with opportunities to develop supportive and collaborative relationships.
Over the course of the year-long commitment, mentor relationships involve many activities and opportunities
- Informational interviews “This is a one-hour scheduled meeting with a business professional. The student takes the opportunity to ask for industry and career advice in his or her career field of interest and academic major. Interviews are typically conducted in-person, by phone or online via Skype”.
- Job shadowing promotes the professional and career development of students through educational sessions and one-on-one mentoring with leading business executives. Students are paired with successful business professionals for one academic year (August through May). During this time, mentors provide educational and experiential opportunities for students which support future career success.
For More information on Mentoring please click on the image below:
About the mentorship program
The mentorship program routinely runs on-campus and remote mentorship sessions. Topics include:
- Background check, review and advice
- How to Tailor a Job Application
- Skype and Phone Interviews,
- On Campus Interview,
- Negotiating a Job Contract,
- Career Challenges,
- Work and Life Balance,
- Balancing Work and Motherhood,
- How to Approach a potential employer,
- How to be a Good Mentor/Mentee,
- Laying the Foundations of a Strong Career – Graduate Students,
- Laying the Foundations of a Strong Career – Junior/Mid-Career Scholars